The following is the basic articles of the entry of the aliens into Korea under the Immigration Act of Korea. As you may be aware, the immigration laws, in principle, are similar to the laws of other countries, including US, EU, etc. For more detils, pleas refer to the following articles about the class of the visa, etc.
Article 7 (Entry of Aliens)(1) When an alien enters the Republic of Korea, he/she shall hold a valid passport and a visa issued by the Minister of Justice.
(2) Notwithstanding paragraph (1), any of the following aliens may enter the Republic of Korea without a visa:
1. A person who has obtained permission to reenter or is exempted from permission of reentry enters the Republic of Korea before the period of such permission or exemption expires;
2. A person who is a national of a country which has entered into the Visa Exemption Agreement with the Republic of Korea and eligible for a visa exemption under such Visa Exemption Agreement;
3. A person who enters the Republic of Korea for international friendship, sightseeing or in the interests of the Republic of Korea, etc., with entry permission he/she has obtained otherwise, as prescribed by Presidential Decree;
4. A person who departed from the Republic of Korea with a refuge travel document issued, and enters the Republic of Korea before the term of validity of such certificate expires.
(3) The Minister of Justice may temporarily suspend the application of the Visa Exemption Agreement to persons who fall under paragraph (2) 2 where deemed necessary for maintaining public order or in the interests of the Republic of Korea.
(4) Notwithstanding paragraph (1), any national of a country which has no diplomatic relationship with the Republic of Korea, or of a country designated by the Minister of Justice through consultation with the Minister of Alien Affairs, may enter the Republic of Korea with an alien entry permit issued by the head of an overseas diplomatic mission or the head of a Regional Immigration Service, as prescribed by Presidential Decree.
Article 8 (Visas)(1) A visa referred to in Article 7 shall be categorized as a single-entry visa valid for only one entry into the Republic of Korea and a multiple-entry visa valid for at least two entries.
(2) The Minister of Justice may delegate his/her authority to issue visas to the heads of overseas diplomatic missions, as prescribed by Presidential Decree.
(3) Criteria and procedures for the issuance of visas shall be prescribed by Ordinance of the Ministry of Justice
Article 10 (Statuses of Stay)Every alien who intends to enter the Republic of Korea shall be granted a status of stay falling under any of the following subparagraphs:
1. Standard status of stay: a status of stay by which a period of stay in the Republic of Korea is limited pursuant to this Act;
2. Status of permanent residency: a status of stay by which permanent residency in the Republic of Korea is permitted.
Article 10-3 (Status of Permanent Residency)(1) Limitations on the extent of activities and the period of stay shall not apply to an alien granted the status of permanent residency under subparagraph 2 of Article 10 (hereinafter referred to as “status of permanent residency”).
(2) Persons who intend to acquire the status of permanent residency shall be persons eligible for the status of permanent residency prescribed by Presidential Decree and meet each of the following requirements:
1. He/she shall be of good conduct, such as observing the Acts and subordinate statutes of the Republic of Korea;
2. He/she shall be able to make a living, relying on the income, assets, etc. of his/her own or of a family member with whom he/she share livelihood;
3. He/she shall have basic knowledge necessary to continuously live as a national of the Republic of Korea, such as Korean language capability and the understanding of Korean society and culture.
(3) Notwithstanding paragraph (2) 2 and 3, the Minister of Justice shall wholly or partially alleviate or exempt the requirements referred to in paragraph (2) 2 and 3 for the persons prescribed by Presidential Decree, such as those rendering distinguished services to the Republic of Korea, those with excellent capabilities in a specific field, including science, management, education, culture and arts, and athletics, and those making investment of a certain amount or more in the Republic of Korea.
(4) Matters necessary for the standards, extent, etc. of the requirements under each subparagraph of paragraph (2) shall be prescribed by Ordinance of the Ministry of Justice.
Article 20 (Activities not Covered by Status of Stay)If an alien staying in the Republic of Korea intends to engage in activities permitted under a different status of stay, in addition to those activities permitted under his/her original status of stay, he/she shall obtain prior permission to engage in such activities, other than those permitted under his/her original status of stay, from the Minister of Justice, as prescribed by Presidential Decree.
Article 23 (Granting Status of Stay)(1) Where any of the following aliens stays in the Republic of Korea without obtaining a status of stay under Article 10, he/she shall obtain a status of stay, as prescribed by Presidential Decree, within the period classified as follows:
1. An alien born in the Republic of Korea: 90 days from the date of his/her birth;
2. An alien who has any other reason, such as loss or renunciation of the nationality of the Republic of Korea while staying in the Republic of Korea: 60 days from the date such reason occurs.
(2) Standards for examining whether to grant a status of stay under paragraph (1) shall be prescribed by Ordinance of the Ministry of Justice.
외국인의 입국관련 출입국관리법의 관련규정입니다. 기본 원칙에 관하여서는 미국, Eu 등 다른 나라와 거의 같습니다. 이어지는 사증의 종류와 기준 등에 관한 내용을 참조하시 바랍니다.
제20조(체류자격 외 활동) 대한민국에 체류하는 외국인이 그 체류자격에 해당하는 활동과 함께 다른 체류자격에 해당하는 활동을 하려면 대통령령으로 정하는 바에 따라 미리 법무부장관의 체류자격 외 활동허가를 받아야 한다.